Wednesday, February 9, 2011

"Piano Hinge Book" at She's a Sassy Lady

Good morning! It's a She's a Sassy Lady  day! Today I am bringing you a very cool project called "piano hinge book" (I actually knew it by another name -bamboo weaved book-).





 Supplies:
5 sheets of 12 x 12 card stock
Several sheets of your favorite printed paper
Embellishments to taste
5 - 12" bamboo skewers
Embroidery thread
Tacky Glue
Paper cutter
Scissors
Bone folder

Steps:
  • Fold each of the 5 card stocks in half using bone folder.  Then trim 1" from one end of each folded sheet so you end up with 5 folded card stocks, 11" x 6" 
  • Align the template over the folded edge of the card stocks and trace along the "saw tooth" pattern with a pencil.  This is where you will make your cuts. E-mail me if you want the template at beatrizguzman58@yahoo.com

  • Cut out the notches you traced in the previous step. 

  • Slide a skewer into bottom of one of the folded card stocks and weave it through every other tab.  This is going to be the front cover 

  • With the spine (where the skewer is) to the left, place the front cover directly over the next page. Slide another skewer into bottom of this page and "weave" this page into the front cover.  The skewer will go through the first tab on this page, then through the second tab on the cover page, back to the third tab on this new page and so on until the skewer exits out the top.  The second, fourth, sixth (and so on) tabs on this new page should be empty.  These are going to be used to weave the third folded page into the book.

  • Continue in this fashion until all five pages are woven into the book. The last page will have unused tabs.  Don't worry about them.
  • Take the embroidery thread and interlace the tops and the bottoms of the skewers together, leaving some amount of extra thread at the top of the book.  (Later you're going to put some dangling beads or charms here to give the book an elegant look.)  Tie the threads off firmly.  Carefully use some tacky glue on the thread to help hold it to the skewers.

  • Cut off sharp the skewer tips.

  •  Knock yourself out decorating the pages and cover... and voila!
Thank you Sheila and  http://shesasassylady.blogspot.com  for having me again. Have a fabulous and blessed day!

15 comments:

  1. That looks like a lot of work, but well worth it as this is just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bea!! This is too cool! OK, I have GOT to try this technique, thanks for sharing. The book turned out just beautiful! Haha, I just went and got some coin envelopes for another project, looks like I'm now heading to the store for bamboo skewers....lol. Love ya Bea! See ya this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! I want a try to make this book, wish me luck!! Thank you for sharing it is beautiful!!
    cecy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bea, I love this book. It is so different and beautiful. I have never seen this before and it will be something I try someday. Thanks for sharing it with us at Shes A Sassy Lady today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!! I am going to try it, you've inspired me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. He Bea!!! This tecnique is so cool!!! Thank Bea for sharing!!!
    Muchas gracias por ensenarme esta tecnica, me encanta y lo beuno es que le puedes anadir mas hojas cada vez!!!
    Carinos y este libro te quedo sonado como siempre
    Carinos
    Karla Urea

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow ..this is so cool..I really love this. I left something for you on my blog so be sure to check it out later. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  8. This just is awesome! Great tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is super cool and so unique! LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Left you some love over at Sassy's and also emailed you for the template. This is soomething I've got to try! Thanks for such great directions!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this book idea! I can't wait to try it!
    Barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea and lots of work- I might try this when I get a chance..lol love how you decorated this book great instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cool book! I have never seen this before:)
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey this is so super cool and what a great tutorial, thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this! Have some flower sticks in my stash. Will need to see if I ca use them for a book like this.

    ReplyDelete